Back to School Sewing


Hi!!! WELCOME !! This is my stop on the giant back to school blog tour! All about back to school sewing!!! Now, if you read the blog regularly, you've already seen a lot of the back to school sews I've done, but no such things as too many clothes until it is time to do laundry right?

I made 4 patterns:
  1. the Jalie Vanessa Fluid pants
  2. the Filles et Maman Souris top (in tunic length)
  3. the Gracious Threads Raindrop Tee
  4. the Bubby and Me Darcy (in top length)
  5. Sis Boom Sophie Tunic (on sale until oct 5th with 50% of shop sales going to help rebuild Puerto Rico)





My Cheeks literally JUMPS up and down when she gets to wear these pants!! she says "yay comfy pants!!!!" She's not a fan of jeans... 

The fit is a comfy relaxed style (you'll see more of the whole pant at the end of the post) the waistband is elastic 3/4 is ways around. the front is flat for a section which allows for some great stylign and tucking in shirts. Since Cheeks is only 5 and doesn't really get the whole half tuck style I made her the Raindrop Tee because it is naturally hi-lo for a tucked look.

The fly is faux - making it FAST, and still giving the appearance of a nice pant. I used some of my kauffman Chambray in small herringbone for these pants - and I wish I had way more so I could make msyelf a matching pair!! 

The FAB thing about Jalie is that the sizes includes are ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the sizes. Kids to adult!!! It is AMAZING value!!! I did not adjust any fit for the pants - just sewed according to measurments and they are spot on!


The Raindrop Tee by gracious threads is sizes 2-8.  I love the fit - it is loose-ish, but still fitted. I chose to do longer sleeves since where we live back to school also means winter is coming... and it is a LONG winter.


I have to admit, while I am a big fan of the hi-lo hem, my favourite thing about this pattern is the pocket!!! Talk about a GREAT way to use up scraps of fabric and add some punch to a tee!


The raindrop is also prety cute with a pair of tights for play!


The oldest is wering the Souris in tunic length. She is a touch longer than she is wide though so I think I should have added the length from a size up.


I love the unique construction of the Souris! When I first looked at the pattern I was a little intimidated - but following the directions for each step - it went together soooo smoothly and has such a fun finish, very tidy, and a unique pleat detail on the side.




The other top I made to go with the Jalie pants is the Darcy top - which I know, I've probably blogged WAYYYYY too many of already... but I LOVE the side slash hemline with these pants! Also a tucked look without being tucked in!

This is her "mom do I HAVE to do more pictures......" face

and this is her "FINE MOM!!! I'll give you just ONE MORE smile....." picture.


The SisBoom sophie is another GREAT staple! there are a lot of length options and you can do long enough to wear with tights or shirt length or in between!


The facing can go on the outside or the inside - I did the outside here because I think it is fun to have contrast facing and showcase more fabrics!


The sleeves also have multiple length options and I love the side slit detail!


AND SisBoom pattern Co is currently running a SALE! So, lucky you if you are in the market for woven patterns!




Both my kids are seriously pleased with all their back to school mom-made clothes and the handmade stuff gets picked more often than the storebought stuff - which I am calling a totally handmade win!

Please do leave me a comment! (and say hi to a few other tour participants! Everyone loves comments on their hard work!)


Monday, September 25, 2017
Tuesday, September 26, 2017
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Thursday, September 28, 2017
Friday, September 29, 2017

3 comments

Tina Voth said...

These are fantastic. The Souris top is really unique, I think it's super cute.

Patricia Metten said...

You've done such a great job with all of these!
The Souris Top is my favourite!!!

laurel grose said...

those pants are so cute, but i love the red tee and the blue top so much! i totally need to make that one!!!

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin