How I Made a Book Sling (VERY easy tutorial!)

 I read MANY book sling tutorials when a good friend asked me to make her one. I was slightly confused by some, not liking the folded over hem look on others... and So I made up my own way to sew them.

Here it is:

Cut one piece of home decor med. weight fabric to 42" x 47". Fold in half (right sides together), pin the 47" length, sew it and then flip it


Now fold a 1inch ish hem around both edges, pin and sew.


Flatten out and measure 2 inches from the top (I made a pencil mark every 4-5 inches or so), pin and stitch all along the edge (this is where your dowel will go into)


and... DONE! Easy peasy! With no awkward looking hems and very little brain work involved. Perfect rainy day project in my humble opinion since I finished it within and hour and now get to feel accomplished and have time to read my book... or sew something else... or clean the house 

13 comments

Our Pinteresting Family said...

I love the fabric you chose. Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial. I love this idea. Megan

I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar said...

I love the polka dot fabric too. So fun! Thanks for joining the party!

Cheri

SensationallySarah said...

Very cute and intuitive!

artclubblog.com said...

Looks great, and I love the polka dots!

Crafty Cousins said...

Great idea! Link this one up, too! :)

http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-i-wore-sunday-week-10.html

~Natalie @ Crafty Cousins

Jenny Melrose said...

So cute! The tutuorial is great because it's so easy to follow. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

I love the book sling! This is such a great project! I hope you will come link it up at the Pinworthy Project Link Party going on now over on my blog, Just Us Four.

AmieAnn said...

This is fantastic! I just adore the ease of it.. sewing is STILL not my strong point so anything that is a simple straight line I can handle! Loving your polka dots!
Thanks so much for joining in the under 300 followers blog hop!
xoxo
Amie @ Pinkapotamus

Tara said...

Hi!! I am a new follower from The Pink Hippo Under 300 Followers Blog Hop!! I love your book sling! This is definitely something I would love to try! I can not wait to go thru your tutorials!

Tara @ therapy4roses.blogspot.com

Alisha @ Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

I am your newest follower on GFC, linky followers, bloglovin and Pinterest.

Stopping by from Pinkapotamus-under-300-followers-blog. I love the fabric you chose for the book sling too.

Come by my blog when you have a moment: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com

Alisha

Chelsea Art Designs said...

Hi there i love your blog!!!!! big time. I found you on Amanda linky 3oo blog hop. hope to see you soon. Keep well. will pop by again.....you have some wonderful ideas really talented.

Hugs Chelsea

Kimberly said...

Hi. I found you on the Linky 3oo blog hop and am now following you. I was just thinking about making these book slings:) Thanks.

Kimberly @
mypinterestreality.com

Heather said...

So fun! Love the fabric!! I'm a new follower from the under 300 followers blog hop!

Heather
www.briebrieblooms.com

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin