Monday, December 19, 2011

Sugar Cookies! (Dairy and egg free!)



I really wanted sugar cookies and to decorate cookies with the babes - but I'm not sure if you know this but they all have dairy in them! So I played with a recipe. The cookies are not super soft sugar cookies - but firmer ones like Christmas cookies should be, and the icing is also dairy free and dries nice and firm so you can put them all together in a bowl and they don't smudge.

Recipe (adapted to be dairy and egg free)
Original from Julie Van Rosendaal's one smart cookie

  1. 1/4c. shortening (I used lard)
  2. 1Tbsp. canola oil
  3. 3/4c sugar
  4.  zest of 1 lemon (or a tablespoon ish of lemon juice)


Beat together in a bowl and then add

  1. egg replacment (2 Tbsp. water, 1 Tbsp. oil, 3/4tsp. baking powder)
  2. 1 tsp. vanilla
  3. 1 2/3c. flour
  4. 1tsp. baking powder
  5. 1/4tsp. salt 
Refrigerate for a half hour or so and then roll out and use your cookie cutters! Place on a sprayed with oil baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 7-10 minutes depending on the heat of your oven - lightly browned on the bottom means done.

The icing is quite simple:

1 1/4c. icing sugar
1/8 c. hot water
1/2tsp. corn syrup
1/4tsp. vanilla



The babes had tons of fun helping me make the dough and did alright decorating until she realized that cookies were just a way to get icing and sprinkles into her little mouth!


Hope you are all having a wonderful time getting ready for Christmas! I'd love to hear what you have to do yet

8 comments:

milliemorganmedia said...

Yumm! Your blog is so cute! Thank you so much for sharing. I am your newest follower. I'd appreciate it if you stopped over at my blog and followed me back! Thanks! http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

Yum-and the sprinkles are the perfect cute touch!

folkhaven said...

I'm always on the look out for dairy free recipes. These cookies look so cute! I love the glassy finish!

Amy said...

Looks so delicious.Great to find a diary free recipe. Saw you at Anything Goes-Linky. Would appreciate if you join with Midweek Fiesta

Wish you a Merry Christmas!!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Love that these are dairy and egg free! Wish I had the recipe when my little one had to be dairy free! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday! Merry Christmas!

Melanie
www.bearrabbitbear.com

Jenni said...

YUM and fabulous!!! I am going to have to try this out for my little Bear. He is allergic to eggs! THANK you so much and HOPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
Jenni

coconut said...

LOL I love that you can see her frosting covered mouth, too cute.

Carrie said...

What a great thing to share at Sharing Saturday! I have a friend with a son who is currently allergic to everything. This may be a recipe to use for him if I can find a good flour to use with it--he just reacted to wheat. Poor kid is literally allergic to everything! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and I hope to see you again this week at Sharing Saturday!