Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hand Toasty Tutorial

I don't know about you, but I HATE having cold hands! So I decided to make some hand toasties to slip in my pocket during cold days. I wanted the rice pack to be in it's own pouch since I wasn't sure how felt would handle the microwave.

So here is the tutorial for a little mini rice pack to keep your hands toasty as you go out and about this holiday season! (ps. did you notice my header is a bit more festive now?!). Hello Fall! 


Here you can see the pattern pieces (if you readers want I can scan in the pattern - just leave a note). I put the measuring tape in there so you can get an idea of size.




Stitch on your embroider if you want first. I wanted to write "hand toasty" on so it was clear what these are since these will be Christmas gift add ons. (My embroidery is nothing to write home about - but I think it still adds a little something)

Next stitch the jam piece onto the front toast piece. 

Now put the back pieces on top of the front (right sides together). You could do this project out of cotton but then you would have to do a double hem on the back pieces. 

 Pin the pieces on and stitch all round


To make the rice pouch cut two pieces 3"x 3.5" approximately.

Stitch all around leaving a hole for turning and filling with rice. 

Once you have put your rice in stitch the opening closed (I did a simple whip stitch - I think that's what it is called)

And there ya go! Hand toasty is complete and ready to go into stockings for Christmas or into your pockets to help you stay warm as you Christmas shop, or go tobogganing, etc.



Enjoy! 
& thanks for stopping by! 


They are talking about me at CraftGossip.com



14 comments:

Rebecca said...

Those are adorable!

Marilyn said...

THIS IS awesome. LOVE IT..So creative.. I would LOVE for you to please share it at my Pin'Inspirational Party please.. ;)) LOVE it.. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/pininspirational-thursdays-linky-party_09.html

Stephanie @ Toastie Studio said...

Oh I love this! It is toast shaped :P

Sophie said...

That's a great idea, and a fun stocking stuffer! But tell me, what kind of rice do you use, and how long do you put it in the microwave?

Good Girl Gone Green said...

That is so cute!

Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate said...

This is too sweet! I love them! What nice stocking stuffers or teachers gifts these would be too! Thanks for linking them up to Latest and Greatest Friday!

Shiloh said...

So cute! I just made a couple of these, but mine are just straight black velvet stuff. Nice, functional, but not cute and ..."toasty".

atnumber29 said...

great idea! And the 'toast' is so cute!

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

Very cute! My daughter would love those. Love you blog! I'm following from trendy treehouse. :)

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

I love this idea and will be making some for my dad whose hands get SO COLD while walking the dog in the early mornings. Thank you!

P.S. I'm giving away 25 free shutterfly holiday cards... come on by! http://acraftyescape.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-shutterflys-2011-holiday-cards.html

Connie said...

What a neat idea! I know my hands get cold and these would be great....I could also offer someone a piece of toast if they were hungry :)

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

Coming over from Six Sisters Stuff -- cute idea! Very practical and great gift.

April said...

Coming over from the Sunday Drive..great ideas on your blog! I'd love a follow back :)

www.aamcquay.blogspot.com

Sunni @Love Affair with my Brother said...

This is too cute! I have a similar pack made from cherry stones!
How long can you heat the rice?
Thanks for linking @ This Week!