I LOVE you the Mostest ! (Pocket pillow tutorial with patterns)

Let's start this tutorial with a little bit about me! I haven't been blogging for very long and I only started sewing in December of 2010! I like to think I'm not too shabby for a beginner. I am a stay at home mom to my one year old daughter who is the inspiration for the majority of my projects and I have a insanely charming and handsome husband who rocks dimples and a British accent (for real, he's from Britain) and he inspires all the mushy projects. (He's also very craft-y. Seriously, he made me a mini puppet stage with changing backgrounds and working lights for an engagement present)

Fall time reminds me of snuggling up and watching movies, apple cider, and other generally cozy things such as pillows. (and this fall time-ee-ness is why I'm entering this project into stitched in color's celebrate color) and fall frenzy fun!

Today I want to show you how to make a pocket pillow with a fun embroidered detail on the front and a little dolly for the pocket. I LOVE adding details to the projects I make my daughter and she is just starting to love her dollies!  I've also uploaded the pattern for the embroider and the dolly for you - Enjoy! (personal use only please)




You will need:
  • Main fabric
  • Pocket fabric
  • Heat and bond & a scrap of fabric for the bird
  • 2 charms or charm size fabric for the dolly
  • other usual sewing stoofs.
  • The pattern 

To start you will need a main fabric and a pocket fabric.
From the main fabric cut one 15"x15" square and 2 15"x 10" rectangles

From the pocket fabric cute one 15"x7" rectangle (although, to be honest I cute mine 16"x7")

On your main front piece figure out where you want to do your embroidery and transfer the image to the fabric. I used plain old graphite transfer paper (lightly tracing my image so the lines wouldn't show after a wash)

You will also need to heat and bond some fabric and then cut out the bird and iron that to the main pillow fabric.

Embroider on the design. I did a simple back stitch for the entire project (just learning embroidery). Then stitch around your bird (you can do it by hand if you want, but I used my machine just to keep things simple) 


Now do a double fold hem on your pocket piece along the top edge and then pin it onto your main fabric (I left mine a bit loose on purpose so it would fit the dolly easily). Sew a line up the center of your pocket so you will have 2 pockets


Now double fold hem your two back pieces and then place onto the main pillow&pocket. When you pin it be sure your pocket stays in place and your back pieces will go over each other at the center by a few inches.
Sew all around your square (be sure to catch all the layers and make sure the pocket and back pieces don't get folded under while sewing) you will turn out by the open back pieces. Here you can see the overlap:


and that is your pillow done! Great work btw :)

Now start working on your dolly. I used 2 charms. Stitch the face onto the body by way of sewing on the hair (as seen below) and then stitch with matching thread the face part onto the body as well so it stays down.

In this next photo you can see how the face is stitched on. Pin your front and back, right sides together, and then sew around leaving a small 2 inch part un-sewn along the bottom .

Turn the doll out, stuff it, and then sew that hole closed. I machine stitched it but you could also be fancy and blind stitch it.


Isn't the finished dolly cute!

Now put that dolly in the pocket pillow and let your girl have fun discovering it!

Sitting on the pillow is also a fun thing to do while playing with the dolly.


And that is how to make a embroidered pocket pillow with dolly. Hope you enjoyed the tutorial and the patterns !



This is my own tutorial that I guest posted at http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/ at the start of October.







Celebrate Color

24 comments

Amy said...

This is just so adorable! I'd love for you to share it at my 'think pink' party!

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/welcome-to-week-6-of-falling-for-crafts.html

Katie said...

Now this is just adorable! I love the birdie and the little embellishments! So cute!

Carrie said...

How adorable!! I would love it if you would share it on my new link party at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2011/10/sharing-saturday.html. Thank you!!

yayyaynoodles said...

please tell me where you find the time to do this? i feel guilty doing things with an 11 month old. i'd love to know your secret.

rachel

AmieAnn said...

This is sooo adorable.. love that the little doll goes in the pocket.. what a sweet gift!

Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next! And thanks so much for entering my giveaway!

Carmen said...

This is really cute...and this tutorial came at the perfect time...I am making pillow covers today. Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin’ link party this coming Friday, www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com. Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there….

Remember…YOU ROCK!!

Amy said...

I featured this on the One Artsy Mama Facebook page today! Check it out, and then stop by the blog to pick up an "I've been featured" button!

oneartmama.blogspot.com

Cherished Bliss said...

How cute! I'll have to make one of these for my daughter! It's got everything she loves, a doll, a pillow, and she can cuddle it. I might have to add some fuzzy material (she loves chenille fabric while sucking her thumb...lol) pinning this to my pinterest!

Thanks for sharing at Craft and Tell!

raising4princesses said...

so precious! I started a link party at my blog and I'd love for you to link this up. If you're interested it's http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/ Have a lovely day, Maria

Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

Super cute! Thanks for sharing it at Weekend Craft Soiree! :)

Janet said...

This is such a sweet pillow, wonderful job. :)

J's mom said...

Love it! Please post this, and anything else you may have,in my link party at
http://diycraftstomake.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Peggy

Big D and Me said...

I love this pillow - it caught my eye since it's the colors of my daughter's room - I will have to try and make one of these sometime but I'll admit I'm a little intimidated since I can't really sew

Toni said...

This is adorable!

Danielle said...

This is so beautiful! and you are one fancy pants sewer. I love all you do! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing:>

Liberty said...

This is so stinkin cute! I love all the extra little details you added. :)

xxoo,
Liberty

Rachel said...

What a cute idea for a little girl. Love it!
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

*Jeana* said...

awww that is so cute..I would love for you to share at my "Anything Goes Link Party" http://jeana-marie.blogspot.com/2011/10/anything-goes-link-party.html

Jami said...

Hi Jen! This pillow is too, too cute!!! Love the details! So glad you linked up to the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

Breena said...

SOOO cute!! I love it! And I love your blog background. I'm your new GFC follower :)

Breena
http://mommyknowslife.blogspot.com/

Cherished Bliss said...

I featured this on my blog today! Feel free to stop by and grab a button : )

http://www.cherishedbliss.com/2011/10/craft-and-tell-27-features.html

Craft Couture by T.C. said...

So adorable..I especially love that little doll. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Marie said...

This is adorable! I have a couple girls at my house that would love it! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Show & Share! Can't wait to see you again on Wednesday!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Zina :: Let's Lasso the Moon said...

I have a thing for nesting dolls so of course I think this pillow set is swell. ;-) I am hoping I can hint, hint to my husband that these would be a cute Christmas gift:
http://www.modcloth.com/Modcloth/Apartment/-Bubby-s-Matryoshkas-Measuring-Cups

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin