Gardening apron a tutorial for upcycling those old jeans!


I wanted to make a garden apron for a gift... but had no home decor fabric or any thick/sturdy fabric on hand, but my husband had just handed me a pair of old jeans the previous day and so I made those into this apron!

1. cut your legs open along one seam, then stitch the two legs together (as shown)

2. fold in half and then round the corners and cut to the size yu want your apron to be

3. cut those pockets off the jeans - no point having to sew your own when you can recycle the ones on the jeans! place over the apron base where you want them 

4. Make embellishments (dig deep into that huge fabric scrap pile and get creative!). Cleverly place them to cover holes and hide any stains. Then stitch on your embellishments. Remember that if you are sewing some onto pockets to take the pockets off the apron (hopefully you didn't stitch them on yet). We want the pockets to stay use able :)


4. once the embellishments are on, stitch on your pockets to the apron

 Then cut a piece of fabric for the backing (I used a sort of water resistant poly blend I had kick-en' around.). Pin and sew it right sides together - leave the top open

Waistband - forgot to take pics of this step... so you'll have to suffer through looking at my efforts in paint... sorry
(side note - when I worked at the school taking computerized notes in high school classes, sometimes the teacher would draw for the notes (science is hard to take notes in!) and so I would open paint and try to re-create the drawing and put in the arrows and notes and the kids almost always laughed at my drawings hard enough a few times that the teacher came to look at my screen... and laugh too... oh vie. )

sorry that is hard to read... can you click on the picture to make it larger? hopefully... it's fairly basic with the sewingng, and topstitching.

and that is how you can turn one pair of men's jeans (+ a bit of fabric) into a gardening apron!

5 comments

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Cute!! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Chef in Training said...

this is SO cute! I love it! I would love it if you would come share this and/or any other projects at the Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training! Thanks so much and hope to see you there!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com

PrewChatterly said...

hi looks so cute ;)you really have a great blog! I personally invite you to our new community http://girlstalksociety.com -Where Moms and Girls Unite...you can add blogposts, create groups, make new friends that may have similar interest and passion that you have. my username there is prewchatterly ;) hope we can be friends. Godblessyou!

Yadira said...

Thanks for sharing this. I once did something similar with and old pair of jeans, but I turned mine into a small messenger bag.

I found this post through Chef in Training's Tuesday Talent Show.

Dr Sonia S V said...

What a gorgeous idea. Love all your ideas.
Thank You for dropping by my blog
Cheers from Bangalore ,India
Dr Sonia S V
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin