Faux chenille blanket cheater


A cheater on faux chenille... sounds silly I know. But the tutorials I was reading for this suggested 4 yards of fabric! I did not have 4 yards of fabric - and live 40 minutes away from the nearest overpriced fabric shop.

But I made a blanket for my girl anyways! Want to know how...? 


4 receiving blankets! yep. Follow your basic tutorial for these pretty things but instead of using all that fabric grab 4 flannel receiving blankets you have kicking around (and if you were like me you got loads of these).


I also didn't have binding... so I used extra wide ribbon I picket up - 15yards (ish) for 1$ at a Micheals sale! It is not the 'proper' finish, but I think it looks cute enough, and my babes loves it!

8 comments

alison said...

Great idea! I always think about using ribbon for binding too- I think yours looks good! :)

Kelly said...

What a great idea! I bought 4 yds of fabric months ago when this was hot, and still haven't gotten to make my blanket. Not in time for baby's arrival, but I will get it done someday. I wish I would have thought of the receiving blankets though, I have a ton of those!

Brave Brooke said...

This is great! Thanks for the inspiration!

Aunna said...

Great idea!i love how you improvised!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Love this! Thanks for linking up to Things I've Done Thursday!!

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

chris said...

Well done. There isn't always a need to buy more fabric, you can use what you've got! I love the chenille blankets my mom made for my kids when they were babies. So soft, and with a great heft to them.

Terra said...

Great idea! I have way too many receiving blankets.

CreationsbyJune said...

wow! what a great idea! I have been wanting to do this, now I will keep an eye out at garage sales for baby blankets

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin