The fall feathered fun hair accessory!


(ya, that's a real feather in the bobby pin hair fun!)

I decided for the fall time I wanted something fun for in my hair with a bit of color in it, but not too much. I don't know about you but come fall I tend to wear a lot more neutrals in my wardrobe and fun up my look with accessories. Something about feathers says fall to me, I think it's due to the birds flying south for the winter (I live in Canada and this is not a fun place to be in winter, as in -40 to -50 Celsius temperatures!).

Supply list:
  1. some heat and bond, fabric scraps (however large you want your feathers), 
  2. felt, 
  3. and a hair elastic or bobby pin.
  4. and a glue gun, needle, and thread and some scissors :)



You will need 7 felt circles if you want to do a flower, if you want this to be a very quick project you could just use a button instead of the rosette.

So there are many tutorial out there on how to do these flowers now (yay - because I had to take apart a flower I bought for $7 way bak in the day to figure out how to make these). Just in case you don't know how to do a flower here's a quick run down:

Fold your circle in half 

and then in half again 

and sew onto your circle. You will sew 4 of these quarter circles onto the bottom circle and then the fifth will be sewn into the middle. 




It's hard to see the fifth one here... but in the top of this post pic I think it shows it better.  

If you are doing a bobby pin vs. hair elastic make a little snip into the center of a felt circle.

If you chose the hair elastic route, stitch it on (we'll glue gun it in yet, but I like to stitch it in for an extra bit of strength)


Here you see the pieces, pre assembly. the feathers, the rosette with hair elastic stiched and ready to go, and the bottom circle.

You can see here I glued the feathers to the circle 

and then quickly put the rosette on top of it. 

and that's it - you are done!

Now you just need to figure out how you want to wear it! 




Enjoy! Hope you have a wonderful fall and fun dressing up the fall wardrobe with a feathery but of hair fun!
ps. I have access to more feathers... so if you want one leave a comment and I'll pick someone to mail a feather or few too! (so be as convincing as possible!)

entered into celebrate in color

and Fall Frenzy fun - link up your fall projects too!



20 comments

Sylvie Créative - Créations Ma Déco Maison said...

Lovely idea and application for the fall! Thanks a lot to share it!

Jimmy said...

This looks very pretty! I especially like the last picture. <3 Keep it up! :)

___
call Bangladesh

Christie said...

Ooh I think it's a gorgeous idea for brightening your wardrobe up in the cooler months!

meijo's JOY said...

Gorgeous and love the color!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Cute, cute, cute! Thanks for linking this great project up!!

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Amanda Joy said...

I love how this turned out! It looks great in your hair.

Thanks for joining our Mingle With Us Blog Hop this week. be sure to hop over to my blog to enter the giveaway for a Peacock Feather Rosette Headband that ends tomorrow.

Amanda Joy
www.joyinthejumble.com

The Sewing Dork said...

Wow, that's very pretty and original.

Carolina said...

that is a great tutorial! :) hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration! i am also hosting a sweet giveaway!xo

Cecilia said...

This is very very fashionable, I love the colors!! :)
I will try to make one! :)
Cecilia

Lindsay said...

This is a gorgeous piece! How crafty are you to come up with it?! I would love to make something similar. Thanks for sharing this @ Show & Share!

cestlavie22 said...

That is absolutely adorable! I think I might need to try this although itll be a challenge for me as I dont sew all that much.

Kei said...

That looks so sweet! Great tutorial!

Joni Nickrent said...

Very cute...awesome tute! Tweeting! Pop Art Minis

Sara said...

SO pretty!! Would LOVE it if you would share this project at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/09/turquoise-lovin-4.html

Make handmade said...

Love it. THanks for sharing

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

I really, really love this feathered rubber band accessory. I recently lost a feathered headband I loved and will now use your post for inspiration for an even better replacement. Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday and I hope you will come back and party again!

Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com said...

This is so cute! Feather are really "in" right now aren't they! Thanks for sharing this at What's In The Gunny Sack last week and I hope to see you again tomorrow!

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

how fun and unique! thanks for joining the Fall Frenzy link party!
happy crafting,
linda

My Sweet Prairie said...

Very cool! This would have got my vote! : )
~Monika
sewing in Saskatoon

Zina :: Let's Lasso the Moon said...

How cute is that?!? Every year I look for something fairly simple and inexpensive (yet still cool) for my girls to make to give to their friends around the holidays. This is perfect! Thanks for sharing with all of us!!!

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin