Thursday, August 4, 2011

Do you want to laugh?

Ombre cakes, I think they are beautiful and I saw so many on pinterest and I got inspired! Tomorrow is my babes 1st birthday and so I decided to try my hand at an ombre cake!
Here was the inspiration

Recipe here, I used one similar but dairy free.

It said that using berries would probably work instead of coloring.... I tried raspberries -they are in season, my babes LOVES them, and they are red - so that should give me pink cake - right? I thought I'd do a 3 layer cake - keep it simple, I'm not known for my fancy cakes and I'm OK with that.

Well........

at least I managed to get the ombre. hahaha, oh my. What color is it... I dunno - but I do know it's not pink!

*This cake will be eaten at the family birthday supper and NOT brought to the party! At least it smells good so it should taste good I guess and frosting should hide that sickly color.

Guess I'll have to go buy food coloring after all.

Edit: this is the cake put together with icing

6 comments:

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

LOL! I love your Label: Cake fail hahaha! I am known around my house for having way too many cake fails. I bet it still tastes delicious! :)

Kelly said...

Thanks for the laugh. We have all been there! You can definitely go back to that pinterest post and let her know that raspberries definitely do not work. LOL I am sure it will taste spectacular!

Adrianne said...

Jen, this is my favorite thing I read all day! You always see beautiful, inspired showoffs and it seems that in blogland, nothing ever goes wrong. "A" for honesty! (Though I must know, how did it taste?)

I would love, love for you to come link up with me at Freestyle Friday.
happyhourprojects.blogspot.com - open all weekend!

Happy to be your newest follower ~ Adrianne

Mallory said...

Good for you for being honest! Now we all know that raspberries probably won't dye the cake any sort of pink color.

I found you via TT&J and am the post two before yours.

Take care!

Adrianne said...

Jen, I just *had* to feature this at Freestyle Friday. Come grab a button!

Adrianne
happyhourprojects.blogspot.com

Tanya Anurag said...

When I read the title, I though I have someone on my side with cake fails but I was wrong. You cake looks delicious. The color might not have turned out to be what you expected but I am sure the cake tasted good. I have such a bad experience of baking. I hardly ever make cakes that can be eaten ;)

We have a link-up party going on - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. I would really appreciate if you'd link up some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you at the party.

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-2-and-features.html