Adding that extra touch to a simple handmade dress !

The past few days I've been working on these two dresses (with nap times getting shorter it takes me a bit longer to accomplish anything!)

I saw this dress on pinterest and thought there is NO way I'm paying that for a simple dress I have the pattern for. (on sale for $46 - was originally $70!)

So I got out my good old simplicity pattern

Made a few changes, sewed on the front ruffles and I ended up with this! I haven't done the shoulder button yet (I need to go to the thrift store and find some vintage, am hoping flower shaped white buttons)


I then used that same pattern and added some ribbon and a flower to make this dress unique! (this one too is waiting for the perfect buttons)

I am finding as I sew more that adding these extra details and bits of creativity to the things I sew is what makes me feel accomplished in my sewing. What have you been doing lately to challenge yourself creatively?

18 comments

Kelly said...

Very adorable! Great job with both dresses, just the right touches to make them so special.

Kristy said...

I love the green one! So cute!

elizabeth said...

DArling...and I am totally with you....I can't pay that much for something I can make!

Alli said...

Nicely done! :)

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Your dresses are beautiful! I am a new follower and would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/14/blog-party-3/

I look forward to blogging with you!

Jessica Stoker said...

I saw that dress in Parent magazine and have it filed in my to make pile for almost a year. Now you have motivated me to get it done. Thanks, and nice work.

acoupleofcraftaddicts.blogspot.com

Katie @ The Crafty Blog Stalker said...

I love the ruffly addition! That dress is so adorable!

I would love for you to share at my link party going on right now at The Crafty Blog Stalker!
http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2011/08/blog-stalking-thursday-3.html

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

Fun!! I hope you'll link these up to Make It Wear It on Thursday!

Madame Samm said...

absolutely adorable..your attempt came out dahling

Karen @ Goodbyecityhellosuburb said...

OMG these are so adorable! Do you have an esty shop? Come and link this to WorkShop Wednesday. It would be a nice addition to the party!

Jordan McCollum said...

I love seeing people whip up projects (which they call easy) for really expensive boutique items. Great job!

Brit @ JandMs Eye Candy said...

I love the blue one! It is absolutely amazing! Thanks for the inspiration :)
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

LOVE IT! Beautiful! I hope you will link up to Scrappy Saturdays linky party @ candacecreations.blogspot.com

Emily said...

Visiting from Bear rabbit bear.. I have loved the projects you've linked up to her blog! You have an awesome blog too!

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Thank you so much for linking your beautiful dresses up at Savvy HomeMade Monday. I hope you will party again tomorrow!

Karen @ Goodbyecityhellosuburb said...

OMG these dresses are adorable, if only I had a girl... I put them in my pinterest just in case! Come and share this with WorkShop Wednesday. It would make a nice addition to the party!

Tanya Anurag said...

So you can stitch any anything at home. WOW. You are super talented. That shade of blue is awesome. I love it.

Thanks for linking up at Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner and adding to the fun. The party for this week is going on... hope to see you there again :)

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-4.html

make handmade said...

Love it! thanks for sharing.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin