pinwheel!


I made this adorable pinwheel dress as a 1st birthday present for a very sweet little girl who's party was pinwheel theme, and yesterday was the party so I can post the pics now! I love this dress!!! (and I won't lie I really was tempted to keep it for the babes). 
I came up with the idea of doing pinwheels on a dress after seeing pinwheel hair clippies and thought putting them on a dress would be a very cute idea for this pinwheel themed party!

It's fully finished with no exposed seams, I used french seams and neatly folded the main skirt piece into the hem of the top band. I love the 'apron' style straps since it means it will be able to wear longer - Yay for adjust-ability! The pinwheels were made with extra strong heat and bond (which says it is washable! Although I'd probably gentle cycle it and hang to dry still), and the ribbon 'sticks' are double stitched on.



close up of the pinwheel detail 

I used the measurements for the pinafore top from "little girls big style"  for the top band of the dress but I wanted to make a dress not a top dress so I lengthened the skirt portion of the measurements based on one of my babes dresses that fits her. I also wanted knot straps like that of an apron style dress so I lengthened the straps by many inches so I could knot them.

linking up and hoping to be a top pick!
Visit thecsiproject.com

8 comments

RakelVT said...

Que hermoso vestido la pequeño que lo porte debe estar muy orgullosa.

Besos

Christie said...

That is so Adorable!! I love the fabric choices and the ties on the straps!

AmieAnn said...

Oh my gosh! This is sooo stinkin adorable! Love the pinwheels and the little ties at the top. Hope you will share your cuteness with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/07/pink-hippo-party-37.html

Kelly said...

Very adorable! Love the knot dresses and those pinwheels are so cute!

Abby said...

So cute! Those pinwheels are awesome!

Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum said...

I must make this for my daughter! It is sooo cute! Thanks for sharing!

Kristy@MyPretties said...

So cute. Did you use a pattern? I'm just learning to sew clothing and would love to try this.

Kristy@MyPretties said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing that info. I'm going to check it out and see if I can find that pattern or at least something similar!

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin