easiest skirt ever, with a bit of bubble

Shirred bubbly skirt


Cute? You can make your own! It's so easy! I saw this tutorial on pinterest the other day, then I found a yard and a bit of this striped fabric at the thrift store for $1.50 that I loved and wanted to use for a me project. I also wanted a bit of "move" to my skirt while keeping the comfort of the shirred top, so I came up with this skirt today during babes morning nap!

My measures for this skirt were as follows: stripe fabric 20"x44" lining fabric 16"x44". I wear a size 0. You may want to measure yourself to get your own measurements. It will shrink up a several inches with the shirring, so I actually did the entire width of 1yd fabric and now I have extra for a dress for babes, I never trust my measurements and always give myself plenty of extra.

step 1. Pin and sew the top, step 2 is to pin and sew the bottom. Right sides together.


Turn your tube the right way out. Then pin the top edge where you will shirr. I find it best to do this for stability (especially since my strip fabric is a knit - the lining was plain broadcloth). Remove the pins as you go.

For shirring I just wind up my bobbin with elastic thread (same way as usual thread in the bobbin, I have a husqvarna emerald 116 - so easy to use BTW) and make sure you stitch with your top fabric looking up at you since that will be the regular thread side, elastic thread isn't all that pretty so we want to keep that underneath. 


this next pic shows you my shirring, I did 9 rows quite close together.


Next I made sure it would fit around me and not fall down, pinned that shirred tube of skirt together into an actual skirt and sewed the seam. and done! 

Not the fanciest skirt tutorial out there - but it's soooo comfy! and unlike elastic waistbands shirring won't dig in on your imaginary side chub :)


ps. don't you love it when you can sew with knits and not have to hem! I know I do...

9 comments

Kristol Faucheux said...

hmmm... thinking... thinking.... I just might have some fabric for this one.

Alexis @ persia lou said...

I've been meaning to go buy some elastic thread for weeks now. Thanks for more motivation!

Amy @ dwell in the season said...

I love this skirt! I've been getting into sewing lately, and I just love making skirts. Nice work, I'll have to try this soon! :)
-Amy

~Beth D. said...

i love this material. it looks great!

Ashley said...

o this turned out so darling!!! loos great

Mindie Hilton said...

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

Come strut your stuff.

Mindie Hilton said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Bacon Time. Our first party was a big hit with over 300 links. I can't wait to see what you have for me next week. I have a special give away planned just for linkers at the party. I would love it if you would add my party button to your lovely blog. Thanks again.

Camille said...

Hi! I found you over at Bacon time . . . this is a great skirt! I love the colors and the fit!
I am your newest follower! Feel free to come over and check out our blog and follow back if you want to!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

Seamingly Smitten said...

Great material! So nautical looking!
Jenny

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin