Sweet Easter Buns!


One of the things I love about Easter are the Easter buns! or paska as my family calls it. Now I have tried MANY paska recipes in my time and had much difficulty with some and then some work every now and again. However, as anyone who does breads knows a fool-proof never fail recipe is very important (1. becasue wasting time is no fun 2. a recipe that always turns out is a sanity saver - no more staying up til the wee hours trying that recipe again to get it right!)

Here is the recipe and how to:

  • 1 orange
  • 1 lemon
  • 3/4c. water
  • 1/4c. sugar
puree till smooth. NOTES: I want to say that if using the actual fruit scoop out and use the insides (without seeds). I've seen and tried many recipes that say to use the entire or to grate in the rind - but I've found that often leaves a slightly bitter after taste to things and these buns should be sweet. 
I used scooped out orange and 3Tbsp. lemon juice and 1c. water. I found the easiest way to scoop out an orange is to use a grapefruit spoon.

  • 2c. scalded milk (I used vanilla rice milk and they turned out better than the "real" milk version)
To scald milk means to bring it almost to a boil. Don't let it boil though.
  • 2Tbsp. yeast
  • 3/4c. water
  • 2tsp. sugar
stir, dissolve and let rise while you do the next bit. When it's'risen' it should look like the picture below:

  • 6 eggs
  •  1Tbsp. salt
  • 1 1/4c. white sugar
  • 1/4c. melted margerine + 1/4c. oil
  • flour.
Beat eggs, add sugar and beat again.
Add margerine, salt, juices, milk, and mix
Add yeast mixture and stir.



Keep adding flour and kneading to make a soft dough (I use my kitchen aid with dough hook for the first 7cups of flour and then switch over to kneading the old fashioned way with a big stainless steel bowl).
The key to great paska is a very soft dough. It should be a bit sticky, and feel soft like you want to add a bit more flour but aren't quite sure.

Cover and let rise (about 1hour) in a warm draft free place (I turn my oven light on and put bun dough in there). Then shape the buns, let rise for a bit again (another hour) and then bake.
Here is the 'how they grow' breakdown: 1/3dough + 1/3 2nd rise + 1/3 baking rise.

To shape I took a few pictures to try and show you how to work the dough through to get perfect buns:

 pinch off and they are shaped


Bake at 350 degrees farenheight for about 25mins. the first 15mins bake uncovered and then the last 7-10 mins foil cover the tray and finish baking. This recipe gave me 55 buns and 1 loaf of bread.



once done baking ice them and sprinkle! I used basic vanilla, but a lemon icing is also VERY good.

2 comments

Kellie said...

they sound delicious! i definitely want to try them!!

Jenn said...

That sounds so yummy! I don't think I have tried anything like this before. Thanks for sharing!

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin